Banner photograph of St. Thomas Episcopal Church Cemetery, Bath, North Carolina - Taken by Judith Richards Shubert October 2008


There is a land of the living and a land of the dead and the bridge is love, the only survival, the only meaning.
- Thornton Wilder

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Trek to Alabama Leads to Mayo Family


This beautiful little church is located on Escambia County Road 22 (Ridge Road) about 6 miles northeast of East Brewton, Alabama. My husband, Bob, and I went there on the way to our son's house in Andalusia March 28, 2002. The church is still being used, I assume, because the sign out front says May Creek United Methodist Church - "God's Help is Only a Prayer Away". It gives the Sunday School and Worship service times on the bottom right.

The Mayo family plot is in the cemetery located to the left of the front of the church (I'm standing in the cemetery to take the picture!)
Date Taken: March 28, 2002

Place Taken: Escambia County, Alabama



This is a view of the May Creek Cemetery facing south, I believe. I know the sun was very bright and when I took pictures of the individual stones, I was looking into the afternoon sun. It was about 3:00 p.m.

I have marked the picture with the yellow X on the right hand side. The Mayo Family Stone is directly below it.



This is the Mayo Family plot that is located near the road toward the front of the church. Only the word "MAYO" is etched into the marble and all of the graves are covered with flat large concrete blocks. It is on these blocks that the names, etc. are printed.

My Great-Granduncle, Travis Austin Puckett married Nancy Catherine Mayo. It is believed that her mother, Nancy Catherine Peavy Mayo died possibly giving birth to her, or shortly thereafter, in 1880. Her headstone, along with her 3-year old son, Mark M. Mayo's, is located to the left and slightly behind the Mayo plot.

Someone obviously takes care of the family plot, since there were flowers there. Also, someone has cleaned the stones a little in order to read them, I imagine.

I wish the pictures showed the writing a little better.



Eph J. Mayo
Apr. 8, 1874
Aug. 4, 1926

"How desolate our home
Bereft of thee."

I do not know the descendants through this man, but the stone next to his is a Martha Jane Mayo, born 1887. I suppose they could have been husband and wife. Are the dates right for him to be Nancy C. Peavy Mayo's son? He would have been 6 years old at the time of her death.


Martha Jane Mayo
Jan 16, 1887
Nov. 10, 1945

"Faithful to her trust,
Even unto death."



Leonard E. Mayo
Aug. 10, 1905
July 15, 1960

"His life was gentle, and the elements so mixed
in him, that nature might stand up and say
to all the world, 'This was a Man.' "

If anyone knows the relationship between these Mayos, please add your comments.


DADDY
William C. Mayo
Aug. 13, 1907
Nov. 8, 1961

"Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest."


Rufus G. Mayo
Aug. 1, 1913
May 11, 1960

"Heroes Live Beyond the Tomb"


Nancy C. Mayo
Wife of M.L. Mayo
Oct. 8, 1848
Jan. 9, 1880

I could not make out the epitath at the bottom of the stone.


Mark M. Mayo
Son of
M.L. & N.C. Mayo
Born
April 5, 1878
Died
Feb. 6, 1881

This was the 3-year old son of Nancy C. Mayo. Their stones are side by side.



Mother and son headstones and if I remember correctly the small stones are the foot markers.

We believe Nancy C. is the mother of Nancy Catherine Mayo Puckett, who was the wife of Travis A. Puckett.


3 comments:

  1. Neat post! Incidentally, I knew a Jim Mayo who was stationed at Reese AFB in Lubbock, Texas, back in the late 1980s. He was from Alabama, and in college was "Aubie the Tiger," the mascot for Auburn University. I wonder if there's some connection to these Mayos? Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments, W. So you were stationed at Reese, too? In the 80s? You are a babe. I asked my Mayo connection to read your comments and see if he recognized Jim Mayo. He's a Puckett and lives in Oklahoma City. His mother was a Mayo. By the way ~ love Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gerald Lilburn Puckett, OklahomaSeptember 23, 2009 at 8:37 AM

    Gerald Puckett said...

    Hi Judy, I just found this neat post you put up about Nancy Catherine (Mayo)Puckett. It is real neat. No I don't have much information about the other Mayos mentioned here but that which have I will put up here or will email to you and you can put it up here. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin