Banner photograph of St. Thomas Episcopal Church Cemetery, Bath, North Carolina - Taken by Judith Richards Shubert October 2008


There is a land of the living and a land of the dead and the bridge is love, the only survival, the only meaning.
- Thornton Wilder

Monday, February 23, 2009

Blanchard Cemetery, Blanchard, Oklahoma



-->


-->


Blanchard Cemetery
Blanchard
McClain Co.
Oklahoma








While traveling to Kansas City in April of 2005 we made a detour to Blanchard, Oklahoma, where some of our ancestors are buried. Blanchard is a pretty little town and looks a lot like East Texas to me. There were more trees than I had imagined.

As you can see, there is a beautiful tree just steps from my great-grandparents' headstone. They are in the foreground of the picture above.

Great-Grandparents

Harvey Vandegar Puckett
May 27, 1871 - Feb. 19, 1958
Alice Puckett
Aug. 1, 1872 - July 17, 1954




I was standing looking southwest from my great-grandparents' grave when I took this photograph. It's a beautiful cemetery.

You can find more of my Puckett ancestors at my blog, Genealogy Traces, where I will be posting the other pictures that I took the day we stopped here to go down "memory lane."



Cemetery in McClain County, Oklahoma, USA.
Latitude: 35.15972 : Longitude: -97.65167

Photographs taken by Judith Richards Shubert, 2005 (c)


7 comments:

  1. Sent by TreasuresInHeaven on March 02, 2009:

    well hello, Judy! I know you from FB through JoLyn and gravemappers. Your blog is fabulous too--I'm a follower though I've not ever posted. I'm sorry you had troubles commenting on my blog. I went in and adjusted my comment settings and hopefully that fixed it. I usually do that when I set up a blog, but I must have overlooked it. I grew up never setting foot in a cemetery until my first baby girl died. After that, I was hooked. I looked up all my grandparents and found them (can't believe my mother had NEVER taken us to any of their graves in our entire lives). So I spent the last several years finding the cemetery to be my very favorite place to be, but feeling alone & isolated and just a little freakish (my mom made sure to let me know that my enjoyment of the cemetery was just a little twisted, but I distanced her and kept up with my passion). Once I got to facebook, I found all sorts of people like me. And then JoLyn friended
    me after I'd joined one of the FB cemetery groups and the whole world opened up for me. I found Graveyard Rabbits and you and a couple of others that are just my comfort and joy. It's
    been a real honor and privilege to meet you and know you. And I can't thank you enough for your compliments on Stone Angels Iron Gates. It's my heart's passion now (besides dolls). I have your blog bookmarked and part of my networkedblogs on FB too. When I get over to FB later today, I'll make sure to friend you.
    Thanks again for reaching out to me and may I send lots of hugs and affection right back at ya!

    Hugs, Vickie

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good that the cemeteries are in good condition, clean and very well preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is amazing!!!I love to drive by a bridge, actually there are bridge beautiful for their structure or their size. simply love it. I´ll approach
    costa rica investment opportunities in this country there are land that need big bridges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks like a very nice, quiet, and peaceful cemetery.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin